Sunday, August 30, 2009

Perseverance..He's not done with me yet.

My Sister called today and told me I needed to get with it and post something new on my blog, I have had some issues with my computer lately and to be honest I have had writers block...kinda.

I have lots of things that I want to post about, lots of things that God has really spoken to my heart over the past few weeks one is about perseverance.

Let me start from the beginning.

I by no means am a perfect person, my life has been a road of many turns, hills, and valleys. Some of those turns, hills and valleys were out of my control and some many were from my own choices....From time to time I think about how different my life would be if I had made the "right" choices, but how different it would be if I hadn't made the choices I made (have I lost you yet?)
When I was 19 yrs old I found my self as a single Mother working at a job that I started at 16 that I had no intentions on staying at forever but after a failed marriage and a son to provide for I felt "stuck" so then and there I decided to pursue a career in Cosmetology.....

Perseverance....

(I never said this story would be pretty, decorated with happily ever after...I'm just being honest and real with you)

I won't get into all the Choices I made for the sake of other people involved, but for every trial came the question, "Do I give up? Or do I hang on?"

I can remember many, many nights praying God would just change things....After all he's God, he could make the road straight, make the baby quit crying, stretch the dollar for one more bill, because I didn't think I could work one more hour because I was so exhausted...he could do that for me right..?

In the midst of all my poor choices, valleys, sufferings, and trials he was shaping me, stretching, molding.

Romans 5:3-5
Not only so but we also rejoice in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope.

James 1:12
Blessed is the man who perseveres under trail, because when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.


I'm sure I would not be the person I am today had I not been through some of the trials...with each valley God shaped my character...he used those trials to strengthen me.

I recently read that when a potter bakes a clay pot he checks to see it's solidity by pulling it out of the oven and thumping it. If it "sings" it's ready. If it "thuds" it's placed back in the oven. The character of a person is also checked by thumping...Been thumped lately?
Children under foot, grumpy spouse, deadlines, lots of bills with little money, sick family members...Thump, Thump, Thump...
So how do we respond?

Do we sing or do we thump?

2 Corinthians 4:8
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair persecuted but not abandoned; struck down but not destroyed.


Reread that verse notice the BUT NOT'S...

Perseverance, Character...Molding and Shaping...Singing and Thumping.

"If you have the Shepherd, you have GRACE for every sin, DIRECTION for every turn, a CANDLE for every corner, and an ANCHOR for every storm."
(Max Lucado)

Blessings.

M

4 comments:

David C Brown said...

Blessings. "Endurance [works] experience, and experience, hope".

COUNTRY MOM said...

Maria, How good it was to hear from you. Thank You for all your prayers for my daughter. She had a busy day with her first EMT class. What a blessing it was to read this post. Hope you keep on writing, You have a gift for sharing and writing. Many Blessings,

Anonymous said...

Some days I "sing" - some days I "thud!"
Great post,

Mom

David C Brown said...

Thanks for you visit and kind words on my blog! Keep persevering.