Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Storms

I just wanted to share with you one of my favorite devotions by Max Lucado I went back and reread it tonight and how true it is....



Their Question- What hope do we have of surviving a stormy night?
My Question- Where is God when his world is stormy?
Turbulent days when the enemy is too big, the task to great, the future to bleak, and the answers to few...The light came for the disciples. A figure came to them walking on water, it wasn't what they expected. Perhaps they were looking for angels to descend or heaven to open. Maybe they were listening for a divine proclamation to still the storm. We don't know what they were looking for but one thing is for sure, they weren't looking for Jesus to come walking on water...and since Jesus came in a way they didn't expect, they almost missed seeing the answer to their prayers.
An unless we look, and listen closely, we risk making the same mistake. God's lights in our dark nights are as numerous as the stars, if only we look for them.
"When Jesus comes," we doubters think, "all pain will flee. Life will be tranquil. No questions will remain."
And because we look for the bonfire, we miss the candle. Because we listen for the shout, we miss the whisper.
But it is in burnished candles that God comes, and through whispered promises he speaks: "When you doubt, look around; I am closer than you think."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here is what God has been showing me: We all have storms and it is human nature to panic, complain ect...i have been on that merry-go-round this past week and I must say it hasn't been fun, and today at church the message was on trusting God..I had to get real with myself and say "O.k. God I know I'm not trusting you with it all, and I know I have to." so I came home and reread this devotion and it reminded me of how often I look for the bonfires and listen for the shouts, and while I'm busy looking and listening for all the bells and whistles I am missing what God is trying to show me...Storms in life aren't fun, some people have walked away from God because of them, word of advice: that's the easy way out....choose to praise him in the storm look for the candles and listen for the whispers, he's there..praise him and wait he IS closer than you think.

No comments: