Sunday, October 19, 2008

Joy vs. Happiness

In the past few months I think we have all been watching the news and the events unfolding in the world, for many people it stirs fear, confusion and many more emotions.
I have a routine in the mornings after the kids are on the bus, before I have to go to work I do my bible study and try to journal some, and lately God has been dealing with me about Joy and Happiness. Often we as humans base our mood (I'm not pointing fingers at anyone when I say we I mean me too) on how things are going in our life, example: I am so happy, because I have extra money this week, or the kids are behaving, or I have lost 5lbs.....So this is where I'm going with this....the definition of happiness is:an agreeable feeling or condition of the soul arising from good fortune or propitious happenings of any kind, the possession of those circumstances or that state of being which is attended enjoyment. The root word of happiness is happen- to take place or occur. So many times we are "happy" only because of an occurrence (I'm not saying this is wrong, stay with me..)
On the other hand Joy being defined as: complete happiness, to rejoice, to be glad to exhilarate.
The bible talks about Joy alot in Acts 2:28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life thou shalt make me full of joy with countenance. or "the joy of the Lord is my strength"
God has shown me that I often base my mood on happiness not joy, I had a good day at work-I'm happy, I see my stocks are up (example only I have no stocks:) I am happy...you see God is showing me happiness isn't solid because I base it on happenings.....Ah, but Joy my friend is solid it is a gift from God that can't be taken away, it isn't based on what happen to us today, Joy is everlasting, here are a few more scriptures..

1 chronicles 16:27- Splendor and majesty are before him;strength and joy in his dwelling place.

Esther 9:22- as the time when the Jews got relief from their enemies and as the month when their sorrow was turned into joy and their mourning into a day of celebration.

Psalm 4:7 You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound.

1 Thessalonians 2:20- In deed you are our glory and joy.

3 John 4 - I have no greater joy than to hear my children are walking in the truth.

Isaiah 35:10- and the ransomed of the Lord will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.

In saying all of that this is what God is working on in me, happiness.....it is fading only to come our way when the news is good and the waves are calm...But joy...everlasting, complete, even in the mist of the storm (or stock market, or fighting kids, or empty checkbook) joy will never fade.
I pray today that you make a conscience decision to choose joy! Have a blessed day!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am HAPPY and filled with JOY because you have grown into such a lovely, Christian woman!!