Thursday, September 11, 2008

September Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month

I'm new at this whole blogging thing and I thought what better way to start off by sharing the Teal Ribbon Project with you. Our lives have been touched recently by the lose of a family member due to ovarian cancer and I guess you could say this is my way of fighting back against this devastating disease. I own a beauty salon and LOTS of women pass through the doors here and after the loss of my Aunt I felt like I needed to make more women aware so heres some quick facts about ovarian cancer:



-In women age 35 to 74, ovarian cancer is the fifth leading cause of cancer related deaths.



-In 2008, the American Cancer Society estmates that ther will be 21,650 new cases of ovarian cancer diagnosed and 15,520 women will die of this disease.



-ALL women are at risk



-Symptoms exist-they can be vague, but increase over time.



-Early detection increases survival rate



-A PAP Test DOES NOT detect ovarian cancer (ask your doctor about the CA-125 blood test and the transvaginal sonography, these test are not included in a regular PAP test )



Many of these facts I was not aware of until I began to research about Ovarian Cancer in my Aunts case she was unaware and they found the cancer when it was in the late stages she lost her battel two years later.

While many of the symptoms of ovarian cancer (particulary in the early stages) are often not acute or intense, the are not silent; they whisper, so listen.



Awarness is the key to fight this...So please do your part, and tell women you know about the Teal Ribbon Project, the information you pass along to a woman could save her life!



Blessings,

Maria

In loving memory of our own much loved and missed
CAROL JUNE SMITH RAUBE

No comments: