Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Gluten Gluten Go Away

I have searched tirelessly on the Internet for gluten free food trying to read and reread labels, it really can be overwhelming..I mean you are talking to the homemade bread queen here. So a few days ago I called a friend that goes to church with us and she has been on a gluten free diet for awhile now she gave me hope that I could do this and not have a nervous break down in the process. Her Husband is a chef and he can help with converting recipes so they are gluten free, she even gave me her cell number which I have on speed dial so when I am grocery shopping and have a question I can call and ask her. She did inform me that Captain Crunch cereal was something we could eat because it was made from corn (Praise The Lord, something sweet!)It seems bread isn't out of the question except I have to use rice flour and alter a few other ingredients so i guess I'm gonna have to learn how to make that..and the gravy...well It's not completely out I just have to use cornstarch instead of flour..now if I can just figure out how to make biscuits without flour (grin)
The bottom line is I want my Husband to get well, and If Dr. K thinks this will help I'm willing to rid my cabinets of flour, wheat gluten packing products and replacing them with Rice Flour, Almond Meal,Arrowroot Starch, and Xanthan Gum which I have no idea what they are or how to use them but I'm willing to give it a try...

Need I remind you that Thanksgiving and Christmas is coming up..Which would be my favorite time to bake so I'm already trying to figure out how to make Gluten free stuffing and convert my Grandmas recipe for Jam Cake.Blessings.

M

3 comments:

SweetSavages said...

I am 5 weeks into gluten free...just as a test...here are some things you CAN eat.
corn tortillas....tacos at Taco Bell (some taco seasoning has wheat in it, but Taco Bell doesn't)
Wendy's baked potatoes and chili
BK French fries and Chick fil a fries...but not the other fries.
Rice and beans
dairy
potatoes
Rice Krispies
Oatmeal
Eggs
Oatmeal Blender pancakes
Meat (unprocessed)
Any fruit and veggie
Salads
many ice creams
LOTS of candy bars = )
all sorts of nuts/seeds
Peanut Butter

Hope that helps...you get creative on this diet..that's for sure. I do hope it helps him. Can't hurt to try, that's for sure!

petersonclan said...

Our pastor in Florida almost died before they diagnosed the Crohn's... he returned to normal while on the Gluten free. You can do it!!! All of you will be healthier, too.

COUNTRY MOM said...

Maria, Hope your hubby is well and you find all the recipes you need. Have a great day. Blessings, Audrey